Arab Council Inc. is committed to protecting the privacy of users on its website. We recognize the
importance of protecting user information and we want our users to understand how we collect,
use, disclose and protect their personal information.
This Privacy Statement applies only to the Arab Council Australia website; other websites accessed
through links from this website are not governed by this Privacy Statement. When visiting any other
linked websites, it is your responsibility to review the applicable privacy statements provided there.
provided to us, or otherwise collected by us, offline or online, including through our website
The types of personal information we may collect about you include:
- your name;
- images of you;
- your contact details, including email address, mailing address, street address and/or
- your marital status and/or anniversary;
- your age and/or date of birth;
- your credit card details;
- your demographic information, such as postcode;
- your preferences and/or opinions;
- information you provide to us through surveys;
- details of goods and services we have provided to you and/or that you have enquired about,
and our response to you;
- your browser session and geo-location data, device and network information, statistics on
page views and sessions, acquisition sources, search queries and/or browsing behavior;
- information about your access and use of our Site, including through the use of Internet
cookies, your communications with our Site, the type of browser you are using, the type of
operating system you are using and the domain name of your Internet service provider;
- additional personal information that you provide to us, directly or indirectly, through your
use of our Site, associated applications, associated social media platforms and/or accounts
from which you permit us to collect information; and
- any other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
We may collect these types of personal information directly from you or from third parties.
Collection and use of personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- to enable you to access and use our Site, associated applications and associated social media
- to contact and communicate with you;
- for internal record keeping and administrative purposes;
- for analytics, market research and business development, including to operate and improve
our Site, associated applications and associated social media platforms;
- to run competitions and/or offer additional benefits to you;
- for advertising and marketing, including to send you promotional information about our
products and services and information about third parties that we consider may be of
interest to you;
- to comply with our legal obligations and resolve any disputes that we may have; and
- to consider your employment application.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We may disclose personal information to:
- third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide their services,
including (without limitation) IT service providers, data storage, web-hosting and server
providers, debt collectors, maintenance or problem-solving providers, marketing or
advertising providers, professional advisors and payment systems operators;
- our employees, contractors and/or related entities;
- our existing or potential agents or business partners;
- sponsors or promoters of any competition we run;
- anyone to whom our business or assets (or any part of them) are, or may (in good faith) be,
- credit reporting agencies, courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities, in the event you fail to
pay for goods or services we have provided to you;
- courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in
connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish,
exercise or defend our legal rights;
- third parties, including agents or sub-contractors, who assist us in providing information,
products, services or direct marketing to you. This may include parties located, or that store
data, outside of Australia, and
- third parties to collect and process data, such as Google Analytics or other relevant
businesses. This may include parties that store data outside of Australia.
By providing us with personal information, you consent to the disclosure of your personal
information to third parties who reside outside Australia and acknowledge that we are not required
to ensure that those third parties comply with Australian privacy laws. Where we disclose your
personal information to third parties, we will request that the third party handle your personal
How we treat personal information that is also sensitive information
Sensitive information is a subset of personal information that is given a higher level of protection
under the Australian Privacy Principles. Sensitive information means information relating to your
racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional associations or
memberships, philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation or practices, criminal records, health
information or biometric information.
Sensitive information includes:
- an individual's racial or ethnic origin,
- health information,
- political opinions,
- membership of a political association,
- professional or trade association or trade union,
- religious beliefs or affiliations,
- philosophical beliefs,
- sexual orientation or practices,
- criminal record,
- genetic information,
- biometric information that is to be used for certain purposes, and
- biometric templates
Your rights and controlling your personal information
us, you consent to us collecting, holding, using and disclosing your personal information in
if you do not, it may affect your use of this Site or the products and/or services offered on or
Information from third parties: If we receive personal information about you from a third party, we
about somebody else, you represent and warrant that you have such person’s consent to provide
the personal information to us.
Restrict: You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information. If you have
previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may
change your mind at any time by contacting us using the details below.
Access: You may request details of the personal information that we hold about you. An
administrative fee may be payable for the provision of such information. In certain circumstances,
as set out in the Privacy Act 1988(Cth), we may refuse to provide you with personal information that
we hold about you.
Correction: If you believe that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date,
incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us using the details below. We will take
reasonable steps to correct any information found to be inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or out of
Complaints: If you believe that we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles and wish to make
a complaint, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the alleged
breach. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the
outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take to deal with your complaint.
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from our e-mail database or opt-out of communications (including
marketing communications), please contact us using the details below or opt-out using the opt-out
facilities provided in the communication.
Storage and security
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is secure. In order to
prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and
managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the personal information and protect it from
misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
We cannot guarantee the security of any information that is transmitted to or by us over the
Internet. The transmission and exchange of information is carried out at your own risk. Although we
take measures to safeguard against unauthorised disclosures of information, we cannot assure you
that the personal information we collect will not be disclosed in a manner that is inconsistent with
Cookies and web beacons
browser to store your preferences. Cookies, by themselves, do not tell us your email address or
other personally identifiable information. However, they do allow third parties, such as Google and
Facebook, to cause our advertisements to appear on your social media and online media feeds as
part of our retargeting campaigns. If and when you choose to provide our Site with personal
information, this information may be linked to the data stored in the cookie.
We may use web beacons on our Site from time to time. Web beacons (also known as Clear GIFs) are
small pieces of code placed on a web page to monitor the visitor's behaviour and collect data about
the visitor’s viewing of a web page. For example, web beacons can be used to count the users who
visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page.
Links to other websites
Our Site may contain links to other websites. We do not have any control over those websites and
we are not responsible for the protection and privacy of any personal information which you provide
For any questions or notices, please contact our office at:
Arab Council Australia
ABN: 65 538 322 175
Changes to the Australian federal privacy legislation came into effect on 12 March 2014 to enhance and harmonise the law regulating the protection of the privacy of individuals. This Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) comprises 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) which apply to private sector organisations including Council. You can find out more information about these principles by calling the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or through their website at www.oaic.gov.au.
complaint if you feel your privacy has been breached and how Council will deal with complaints.
Your e-mail address will be recorded if you send a message. Your e-mail address will only be used for the purpose for which you have provided it and it will not be added to a mailing list or used for any other purpose without your consent.
While Council as the website owner has taken all reasonable measures to ensure the privacy and
safety of records are maintained, some users may prefer to provide information via telephone or in
writing; this can be done via the contact details available on this site. Please contact us